AUGUST 2, 2018


  2. The August 2, 2018, Council Meeting was called to order by Council President Rebecca Compton at 6:00 pm.
  4. Mike Russell, Vice President – Absent       ______________________________________
  5. Jimmy Roberts, Member – Present            ______________________________________
  6. Rebecca Compton, President – Present      ______________________________________
  8. Council President Rebecca Compton led with the Pledge of Allegiance followed by a prayer.
  10. Rebecca gave Linda Miller, Old Fashion Days Rep., the floor. Linda wanted to give us a quick update on the festival. She also mentioned that she will be getting us a Certificate of Insurance soon. Everything is set and ready to go; Linda will drop off the schedule of events next week.
  11. Rebecca asked if there were any additions or corrections to the July minutes; there being none, minutes were approved as written.
  12. OLD ITEMS:
  • Spotlight of Town Ordinances – In the coming months we will spotlight ordinances on leaf burning and dog defecation. August water bills will contain the Old Fashion Days schedule of events.


  1. Water tower and Filter Plant – Mark met with Eric Wathen to discuss his ideas. Eric will get some cost estimates so we have a better understanding about what kind of financing we will need. Media is the actual issue so that’s what he is concentrating on.
  2. Sidewalk Replacement – There is one section of sidewalk remaining on the north side of Pearl Street. Work has been ongoing at this site and should be done soon. Mark gave the board the estimate on replacing the brick on Broadway by Perillo’s and the Post Office. Jimmy made a motion to accept the bid; Rebecca seconded. Mark will proceed with this project soon.
  3. 2019 Community Crossing Grant – The next round will open up August 6th. We will be submitting our application soon.
  4. Mowing – The property on West Pearl Street is now being mowed by the homeowner.
  5. EMT\Firefighter Reception – Rebecca reported that this will take place sometime in the Spring – possibly April
  6. INDOT – Rebecca attended a meeting a couple weeks ago regarding updates on the Community Crossings Grant. She also stated that they would like to meet with us again regarding the 2021 paving project and the bridge replacement.
  7. DNR – Rebecca is planning to attend this meeting on August 7th in the Government Center.
  8. See Item C
  9. Street Closing – Mark will put up signs and barricades for the ice cream social on August 12th.


August 2, 2018 Board Meeting Minutes – page 2


  • Ham and Bean Supper – Set for October 27th. A workshop will be set for one evening this month to discuss needs.


  1. Mark – None
  2. NSPD – For the record, Rebecca presented the NSPD report for the month of July; John mentioned that Papa Johns has been scheduled again for August 14th from 4-8 in the bank parking lot. Rebecca mentioned letting the Republican know.
  3. Council – Jimmy had some questions regarding a few trees in town; Rebecca asked Mark if he planned to put mums in the flower pots and Mark said yes he usually does a couple weeks prior to Old Fashion Days.
  4. Harold Blake – None
  5. Clerk-Treasurer – Beth presented the Council with correspondence regarding Newspapers for Education program. Beth will do further research to see if any of our schools are enrolled in this program.
  1. PUBLIC:
  2. None
  4. There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 6:45 pm. The next Council Meeting will be September 6th at 6:00 pm.





Beth Russell