TOWN OF NORTH SALEM
NOVEMBER 1, 2018
- CALL MEETING TO ORDER:
- The November 1, 2018, Council Meeting was called to order by Council President Rebecca Compton at 6:00 pm.
- ROLL CALL:
- Mike Russell, Vice President – Present ______________________________________
- Jimmy Roberts, Member – Present ______________________________________
- Rebecca Compton, President – Present ______________________________________
- Council President Rebecca Compton led with the Pledge of Allegiance followed by a prayer.
- Rebecca asked if there were any additions or corrections to the October minutes; there being none, minutes were approved as written.
- OLD ITEMS:
- Employee in Responsible Charge (ERC) – Beth finished this course and is now certified for a year. Kevin Basham will also take the course.
- INDOT 2021 Road Paving Project – After much discussion, it was decided that we would not go forward with committing $25,000 for sidewalks and curbs because we need to focus money on a new water filter plant and water tower.
- Ordinance 2018-4 – Increase in surcharges – Second Read – Mike made a motion to pass as written; Jimmy seconded. Third and final read will be in December.
- Ham and Bean Supper – $939.00 was raised to be given to the Playground Equipment Fund. Attendance was down this year. Jimmy recommended that this event be moved to the spring because there is always so much going on this time of year.
- Halloween – Marshal Berry stated that everything went well.
- 2019 Community Crossings Grant – we have submitted our application; we should hear something after the first of the year.
- Title VI/ADA Compliance – there are several items that need to be completed to be in compliance with the state. We have asked for an extension of April 1st to get these items completed. After much discussion, it was decided to hold a workshop on November 15th and the third Thursday of each month until these items are completed and submitted.
November 1, 2018 Board Meeting Minutes – page 2
- NEW ITEMS:
- Jeff Smallwood, B&O Trail Representative was in attendance to give a presentation. They are looking for a representative from North Salem to serve on a task force on behalf of the B&O to apply for grant money to bring the trail to North Salem. It was announced that the Governor would be making $90 million dollars available for trails. After much discussion, Rebecca stated that she would like to represent North Salem on this task force.
- Mark – Mark let the Council know that he has been talking with Eric Wathen regarding a new filter plant and water tower. They are currently gathering information. Mark is having issues with the current media he is using and is working on solutions to get the iron levels down.
- NSPD – For the record, Rebecca presented the NSPD report for the month of October.
- Council – Jimmy asked Mark about the progress of the trees that need trimmed; Mark stated that he is still working on this. Rebecca stated that there are pieces of debris falling off of Tom Eggers’ building and asked Beth to contact the County. Rebecca also asked if we were going to have a Christmas party in December. Beth will contact the new owners of the Uptown Café (formally Liz’s) and see if this is an option.
- Harold Blake – Harold let the Council know that he could potentially retire as our Town Attorney at the end of this year. If he does not take a position that is currently available, he will retire at the end of 2019. He let the Council know that they could contact the Hendricks County Bar Association for potential candidates when the time comes.
- Clerk-Treasurer – None
- Bill Compton presented a flyer for the Tree Decorating Contest to be held during the Old Fashion Christmas weekend in December. This flyer will be sent with the water bills along with an Old Fashion Christmas flyer.
- There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 6:58 pm. The next Council Meeting will be December 6th at 6:00 pm.