TOWN OF NORTH SALEM
SEPTEMBER 6, 2018
- CALL MEETING TO ORDER:
- The September 6, 2018, Council Meeting was called to order by Council President Rebecca Compton at 6:00 pm.
- ROLL CALL:
- Mike Russell, Vice President – Absent ______________________________________
- Jimmy Roberts, Member – Present ______________________________________
- Rebecca Compton, President – Present ______________________________________
- Council President Rebecca Compton led with the Pledge of Allegiance followed by a prayer.
- Rebecca asked if there were any additions or corrections to the August minutes; there being none, minutes were approved as written.
- PUBLIC MEETING – 2019 BUDGET:
- The 2019 budget was presented for public discussion. No comments were made. Jimmy made a motion to approve; Rebecca seconded. It will be adopted in October.
- OLD ITEMS:
- Spotlight of Town Ordinances – It was decided to include the Leaf Burning Ordinance in the September water bills. We will also include a blurb on the NSRI cook book with pricing and where they are available.
- Water tower and Filter Plant – Mark said that Eric was still working on putting pricing together and figuring out our best options.
- 2019 Community Crossings Grant – Eric is close to getting application done. We will be hopefully paving McKinley Street and part of Vine Street.
- 2019 Bridge Replacement Update – Rebecca said that the work on taking out the bridge just past the cemetery is set to begin in the spring of next year and is supposed to be done before Old Fashion Days.
- Update on 2021 INDOT Road Paving Project – Rebecca and Mark met with INDOT reps a couple of weeks ago to discuss the 2021 paving project. There are a couple of options we can choose from as far as sidewalk replacement from McKinley Street all the way to the Fire Station. We do have a couple of drains we will be responsible for replacing prior to the start of this paving project. After much discussion, Jimmy stated that we should sit down with reps with INDOT and discuss further.
- Sidewalk Replacement – Mark has replaced some of the bricks on the sidewalk on Broadway Street. It was decided to wait until spring to remove and replace with concrete.
September 6, 2018 Board Meeting Minutes – page 2
- Ham and Bean Supper – October 27th – Mark suggested that the proceeds we bring in be donated to the playground equipment fund. Jimmy made a motion to approve; Rebecca seconded. It was decided to hold a workshop on September 18th to discuss needs and finalize plans.
- NEW ITEMS:
- Heavy trash pick-up will be scheduled for the spring.
- Employee in Responsible Charge (ERC) – Beth let the Council know that both she and Kevin Basham were enrolled to take this course.
- Mark – Mark let the Council know that he was collecting bids for some of the trees we have in town that need trimmed or removed.
- NSPD – For the record, Rebecca presented the NSPD report for the month of August; John let Council know that Old Fashion Days was relatively quiet this year and there were no major issues.
- Council – Jimmy stated that he contacted the County regarding the tree issues on Ladoga Avenue. After much discussion it was decided that Mark would approach the property owners regarding their responsibilities in maintaining these trees and getting them out of the roadway. Rebecca also let the Council know that both she and Harold would be out of town in October and would not be attending the Council meeting. She also read a letter from the Young Marines asking us to issue a proclamation promoting Red Ribbon Week in October. We will do this and put on our Facebook page, Website and also post in the Town Hall.
- Harold Blake – None
- Clerk-Treasurer – Beth let the Council know that it was time to review the surcharges that were put into place in 2016. After much discussion, it was decided to increase both the Water Meter Surcharge and the Waste Water Meter Surcharge to $5.00 each (a total of $5.00 increase per customer). Harold will have an ordinance for the October meeting.
- Jay Thompson was in attendance as a small town representative with the Hendricks County Communications Center.
- There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 7:20 pm. The next Council Meeting will be October 4th at 6:00 pm.